As an employee of Feedster, Inc. It's important, while reading anything that I happen to blog,
that my entries here are solely my own opinion. Nothing that I say here even remotely reflects
anything about my employer. I am an individual, I have a job just as most everyone has a job. You
are reading the depraved ramblings of the individual not the employee. If you
read something that I say here and then go ranting about how Feedster feels regarding a subject
you will only be showing off your own narrow-minded-ignorance. Thanks for understanding.


Friday, February 04, 2005

make cloneconfig

They say that we learn something new everyday, and today is no exception. While trying to compile a kernel a) using /proc/conig.gz, b) on a suse linux enterprise server 8 system, I was unable to even "make dep." The compile was failing giving errors about a missing autoconf.h file, and it all went down hill from there.

I'd like to take this time to note a couple of facts
1. I cant stand rpm based systems. Period. I dont have a choice with this machine
2. I've long since grown apart from linux 2.4 and have become confortable using 2.6
3. I've never, actually, compiled cold source from /proc/config.gz

The solution? make cloneconfig!!! I was making assumptions about the build process that simply werent true. You live, you learn...
# cd /usr/src/linux
# cat /proc/config.gz > .config
# make cloneconfig
# make dep
# make modules modules_install bzImage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home